Data leakage, device vulnerability, and online threats are on the rise these days. We come across several reports, news, and posts that give us a clear picture of how the data stored on our devices and apps can be misused. In the wave of technological development, online threats have multiplied so rapidly that it paved the way for us to stay alert more than ever.
Several technologists have devised new ways to get past this. That is why they have come up with MFA which is the acronym for Multi-Factor Authentication. This authentication process can now be seen in Microsoft Office 365 as well. This has been specifically included for the users who use Office for storing patients’ data. Now, let us know what it is and how to enable it.
What is Multi-Factor Authentication?
As the name itself suggests, MFA or Multi-Factor Authentication is a type of device or software unlocking method. Whenever you enable this feature, you can only unlock a program by undergoing a complicated process. It includes a combination of several unlocking features such as PIN, facial recognition, passwords, and so on. This technology is helping organizations to safeguard their essentials which if left vulnerable can result in a lot of loss. Fortunately, this feature is now made available to Microsoft 365 that is helping clinicians in multiplied ways.
Read Also >> A comprehensive guide on Office 365 ProPlus
Steps to enable MFA for all Office users
Users, if follow these steps carefully can turn on this critical authentication technology on their Office 365 suite:
- To begin the process, go to the Office 365 admin center.
- After this, you need to tap on the ‘Users’ option.
- Further, you have to tap on the option ‘Active Users’.
- Now, this will be followed by tapping on the ‘Multi-Factor Authentication’ option.
- In the next step, tap on the ‘Bulk Update’ option to enable it for all the users who are collaborating with you.
- If you wish to turn it on in a few quick steps, then tap on ‘Enable under Quick Steps’.
- The next time when a user tries to access any program, he will need to complete the MFA process first.
Steps to adjust verification settings
You can always adjust or modify the configurations you have made to Office 365 accounts. In case you are new to MFA, then you may choose to keep the default settings. Else, it is advised to learn all the configuration processes which will enhance your data security. Knowing them will allow you to apply the best method you can. For this,
- Go to the Multi-Factor Authentication settings section.
- Now, you need to click on the ‘Service Settings’ option.
- Here, you can easily modify verification settings accordingly.
- You should also disable the SMS verification on this page.
- Doing this will safeguard you from SIM swap exploits leading to higher security.
Users are advised to go through the Multi-Factor Authentication reports regularly. For doing this, you can navigate to the MFA history section or the admins can simply make use of the Microsoft Azure platform. This allows them to know who, how, and when used this authentication process so that they can take the necessary steps.